Soualy HowTo : How to Clean and Care for Your Gold Ring
Gold is not hard to clean, but the exact cleaning method you choose should depend on whether your gold rings have gemstones or not. Here are some tips to help you clean and take care of your gold rings.
Cleaning Plain Gold Rings
Gold rings without gemstones can be cleaned effectively with only water and soap.
1. Fill a small bowl with lukewarm water, and add some mild dish soap to prepare a simple cleaning solution.
2. Soak your gold rings in the solution, and leave them in it for about 20-30 minutes. Use a soft brush or a soft cloth to clean dirt off the jewelry.
3. Rinse the soap residue off your gold rings with water.
4. Dry your jewelry with a clean towel. Since it might not be possible to wipe dry some hard-to-reach spots, leave the pieces to air dry completely before you put them on.
You can also use ammonia to clean your plain gold rings: Soak the pieces for about a minute in a solution of 1 part ammonia and 6 parts water, and then rinse them well with clean water before drying them with a soft cloth. However, do not use this method too frequently as it may discolor your jewelry.
Cleaning Gold Rings with Gemstones
If your gold ring has gemstones, it is not recommended to soak it in water. Although some durable stones such as diamonds are not easy to damage, there are a lot of gems that should not be soaked in water for a long time (for example, emerald or onyx).
Follow these steps to clean gold rings with gemstones:
1. Prepare a solution of lukewarm water and mild dish soap.
2. Take a soft cloth, dip it in the solution to dampen it, and then clean the gemstones and the metal parts of your gold ring. Be gentle when rubbing the stones so as not to damage them.
3. After your jewelry has been cleaned, wipe the soap residue off your rings with a soft cloth that has been dampened with water only.
4. Wipe the clean pieces dry, and then leave them to air dry completely.
Polishing Gold Rings
You can polish your gold ring using a jewelry polishing cloth that you can buy at the store. You can also have your gold rings polished by a jeweler.
Keep in mind, however, that you shouldn’t have gold polished too often: Since this process involves using abrasive materials, it removes a thin surface layer off your gold rings. This is why extensive polishing will wear down your gold rings quickly.
Wearing Your Gold Rings Safely
Do not wear your gold rings in the shower. Also, remove them when swimming. The chlorine in tap and pool water can discolor your gold and damage your rings’ parts.
Do not do any housework with your gold rings on as bleach and other chemicals used in household cleaners can damage your jewelry.
Keep in mind that gold is a soft metal and scratches easily. That’s why you should not wear your gold rings during any activities that may expose them to the risk of hits or blows.
Storing Gold Rings
Store your gold rings separately from other jewelry as most other metals can scratch gold easily. It’s best to keep your gold rings in small pouches or in a separate jewelry box.
Thank you 🙂 Soualy.com Best 925 Sterling Silver Jewelry : rings, pendants, earrings, bracelets, ..