Soualy HowTo : How to Clean a Ruby Ring
Ruby is a very good choice for a ring, as this stone is very durable. Rated 9 out of 10 on the Mohs hardness scale, ruby is one of the hardest gemstones. Let’s see how you should clean, store, wear, and care for your ruby ring.
Cleaning a Ruby Ring
One of the best ways to clean a ruby ring is to use water and soap.
1. Put your ruby ring in a bowl filled with warm water, with some soap or dishwashing liquid mixed in.
2. Let the ring sit in the soapy water for 15-20 minutes.
3. Take the ring out and clean the gemstones by rubbing them carefully with a cloth. You can also use a toothbrush provided it is soft.
4. Gemstone settings are best cleaned with a soft brush, as it allows you to reach the otherwise unreachable corners of the setting, where grime tends to accumulate. Be careful not to bend the ring’s prongs, if there are any.
5. Clean the ring’s body by scrubbing it gently with a soft toothbrush or a lint-free cloth. Take care not to scratch the metal, especially if it is a soft material such as gold.
6. After you’re finished, rinse the ring thoroughly with water. Dry it with a soft cloth.
You can also clean your ruby ring with commercial jewelry cleaner. Just make sure that the cleaner is appropriate for the metal your ring is made of and doesn’t contain anything that could damage your ruby.
Ultrasonic Cleaning and Steam Cleaning for Ruby Rings
It is generally safe to clean ruby in an ultrasonic cleaner. However, some types of settings can be loosened by the cleaning process, so make sure to check your gemstones afterwards.
Steam cleaners can also be used with rubies. Just make sure that the ring doesn’t have other gemstones that should not be steam cleaned.
Rubies that have been fracture-filled or covered with a color-enhancing coating should not be cleaned in ultrasonic or steam cleaners. Clean such stones with water and soap only, carefully rubbing them with a soft cloth.
How to Store Your Ruby Ring
Store your ruby ring only after it is completely dry.
Keep your ruby ring in a jewelry box, ideally in a soft poach or a plastic bag, or wrapped in a soft cloth. Ruby is a pretty hard substance and few stones can scratch it (e.g. diamond), but it can scratch other gems.
Wearing Your Ruby Ring
Ruby is a very durable stone and is hard to break or scratch. This doesn’t mean that it is impossible to damage, though.
To be on the safe side, remove your ruby ring when doing housework or while engaged in any vigorous activity.
Keep ruby away from harsh chemicals such as acids.
To keep your ruby clean longer, do not put it on until you have applied your makeup, hairspray, etc.
Fracture-filled rubies usually contain glass, which can be damaged by a number of substances.
If you have such a stone, take greater care of it, and keep it away from harsh cleaning chemicals and beauty products. Even substances such as vinegar, lemon juice, and ketchup might affect the appearance of the glass filling.
Thank you 🙂 Soualy.com Best 925 Sterling Silver Jewelry : rings, pendants, earrings, bracelets, ..