Soualy HowTo : How to Clean a Blue Topaz Ring
Cleaning rings with blue topaz is relatively simple, provided that you pay attention to some essential tips that will help you to avoid damaging your gemstones and jewelry. Let’s see how you should care for blue topaz and what you need to keep in mind when wearing and storing a blue topaz ring.
General Care Tips for Blue Topaz Gemstones
Blue topaz is a popular variation of the topaz gemstone. With a hardness of 8 (out of 10) on the Mohs scale, topaz is softer than diamond, sapphire, and ruby, and harder than quartz.
This is why it should be mounted in a protective setting. For example, a bezel setting would be a good choice for a topaz gemstone.
Blue topaz should not be exposed to high temperature, as the stone might get damaged and break.
Sudden temperature changes, from hot to cold or vice versa, are also to be avoided for the same reason.
Although the color of topaz does not fade easily, exposing the stone for an extended period to high heat or direct sunlight may alter the gem’s hue over time.
Cleaning a Blue Topaz Ring
Blue topaz gems can be cleaned with water and soap:
- First, add some soap to a bowl of warm (not hot) water.
- Put the ring in the bowl and let it soak for 20-30 minutes.
- Take the ring out and clean the gemstone by gently rubbing it with a soft cloth or by scrubbing it with a soft toothbrush.
- Clean the ring by scrubbing it gently with the toothbrush. Be especially thorough when cleaning the gemstone setting, as a lot of dirt accumulates in the crevices there. Bezel settings are especially tricky. If your setting has prongs, be careful not to bend them accidentally.
- Dip the topaz ring in clean water and then rinse the ring thoroughly to remove any remaining soap.
- Dry the ring and the gemstone(s) with a soft cloth, and leave the ring to air dry completely before storing it or wearing it again.
Important: Never clean a topaz ring in an ultrasonic cleaner! Also avoid steam cleaning! These cleaning methods may damage topaz.
Reminder: Some blue topaz is actually white topaz covered with a blue coating. Such stones should be cleaned with care because hard rubbing or scrubbing could wear away the colored layer.
Note: If you would like to use commercial cleaner on the metal parts of your ring, first make sure that the cleaning liquid is not going to damage your topaz. In general, keep topaz away from harsh chemicals.
Storing a Blue Topaz Ring
Do not store topaz together with other gemstones, as it could scratch softer gems or get scratched by harder stones.
Ideally, wrap your topaz ring in a soft cloth or put it in an individual bag.
Make sure your blue topaz ring is dry before putting it away.
Wearing a Blue Topaz Ring
Do not wear your topaz ring while doing housework, especially when cleaning. Exposure to chemicals (e.g., chlorine) contained in many cleaning products may damage topaz.
Do not wear topaz in the shower, in the tub, or in swimming pools. Not only can chlorine and other chemicals in the water affect this gemstone’s color, but shampoo and other bath products can accumulate in your ring.
Put on your topaz ring after you’ve already applied makeup, hair products, and perfume, as they can accumulate on the surface of your gemstones and make them dirty faster.
Thank you 🙂 Soualy.com Best 925 Sterling Silver Jewelry : rings, pendants, earrings, bracelets, ..